Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Love Covers

Today has been glorious.  One of those productive, easy going, kids and mama in a good mood sort of days, as opposed to yesterday, which was a day I have chosen to repent and forget (and prayed the kids would forget).  I finally caught up in my kitchen dishes washed (we don’t have a working dishwasher), and my sweet boys mopped my floor for me!  I went through all of the potential garage sale items and organized them by gender and price.  Oh, so many kids clothes.  I’ve been so blessed by family and friends I’ve gotten so many clothes that we have not been able to use all of them!  E. grew so fast that there were only so many she could wear.  Garage sale organization paired with pre-moving organization is in full swing.  I love purging and simplifying in preparation for a move.  I’ve actually enjoyed moving so much for that particular reason: an excuse to organize and simplify. 

B. is on antibiotics for some junk in his chest.  He’s had a cough for about 5 weeks now that doesn’t seem to be getting any better (and possibly getting worse).  Even though I hate for him to be on them, nothing else seemed to be kicking it.  It’s a good thing he likes his “spicy juice”, what he endearingly calls his kombucha.  I still haven’t convinced D. it tastes good.  And I don’t think I’ve even convinced myself of it either! I just tell myself I haven’t been brewing it long enough to really perfect the method.  But I have been brave enough to experiment with some new flavors, and I’ve been pleasantly surprised. 

My sweet sister in law gets married in two weeks! I feel honored (and stressed) to be her matron of honor.  Lots of planning my favorite thing to do, but bachelorette trips and last minute run arounds to make everything perfect tend to be a million times harder when there’s a nursing baby in the mix.  But I’m so excited, especially for her and her beau.  I just love her to pieces.  Although she’s my sister in law, I always just call her my sister.  And although she’s 6 years younger, she’s been my mentor in many ways.  Her faithfulness, joy, and spiritual insight are inspiring and uplifting. 

Tomorrow is “Academy” or as I like to call it: “my free day”.  A member from church watches all the small children in the church every Wednesday.  It has been amazing.  I actually somewhat enjoy taking my kids grocery shopping with me, but by the end of the day, we are all exhausted and cranky.  It’s nice to be able to stop by a coffee shop, take a breather, then proceed to wander the fantastic isles of Target without a mention of wanting to see toys or get a snack or “I want to go home” or having to assuage a two year old breakdown. 

It’s funny looking back to the things I would never do as a parent I would never let my kid do this or that or talk to me this way or that.  And how can parents not see that their child is doing this?  I still thought this way after having b.  B. was such an easy child.  He would sit in a stroller and stay there until 3 years old.  Then I had D.  At two, he is mastermind of escaping confinement in any form or fashion.  I have been in the amusing situation of carrying a carseat of a screaming baby, while wrestling the hand of a defiant two year old who refuses to get off the floor while comforting the emotional breakdown of a four year old because we didn’t see the toys.  I judged moms like me.  How can she not have perfect, well behaved children?  She isn’t disciplining enough she should have a better handle on the situation.  And let me tell you the Lord has humbled me, humbled me greatly.  Three children has been challenging for me.  So challenging, in fact, that right now, I would like to wait at least 2 years before even thinking about more children (subject to change).  I envy mothers who have child after child and their children are loving, disciplined, and godly, and they love day in and day out and find joy in it all and want more and more childrenI do desire a large family but often wonder if it’s for me.  If I’m breaking down this much with 3, how will I handle 6 or 7? The burden of raising Godly children weighs so heavy the regrets at the end of the day, of not living life to the fullest, not loving to the fullest, not being fully thereyes, I know it shall pass.  I’ve heard all the clichés.  I’ve heard all the “motherhood in the trenches” remarks and encouragement.  I’m writing this not to complain but so that I won’t forget what this is like.  To remember and look back one day, through God’s grace, to see how I’ve grown in Him.  Each day is a sacrifice.  Motherhood is the best (and quickest) way to learn that life cannot be about just you.  That sacrifice is love and love is sacrifice.  Each day, I’m learning little by little to put down that book I’m reading or turn off the show I’m watching to play Star wars.  I don’t like to play Star Wars, I don’t want to play Star Wars.  But me playing Star Wars will show that little boy how much I love him and want to delight in him and be with him.  Me choosing to watch my show over choosing to spend time with my son will show him that my time is more important than him.  And we all know what that looks like when they grow up A son who confides in anyone else but his mom.  And oh, it makes me cry to think of it, to think of the many times I’ve chosen me over him.  So I ask the Lord to show me ways that I can delight in my children, how I can manifest love in the best way to each one.  B. is time.  D. is undivided attention and praise.  E. just needs me to smile and talk to her and hold her and cuddle her because they aren’t babies long. 



Pinterest will not teach us to be better moms.  Facebook won’t.  Christian Mommy blogs won’t.  Only Christ, in His death and sacrifice, can teach us how to truly love.  And love covers a multitude of sins.


@alli

No comments:

Post a Comment